Friday, March 16, 2012

Smoking is the Anti-Aging Deal Breaker



    I remember being in my 20’s when you could eat like crap and stay out all night but not have to pay too dearly afterward. Now in my thirties I recognize how little that time frame of “no consequences” really is. It’s only about 8 years that you can do “whatever you want” to your body and not seem to do any real harm to your body. Again I say “seem” to do any harm because none of us can look inside or readily do any screen tests on ourselves.

    Let me be clear, I’m not talking about cancer in any form; however cancer can sure bite anyone’s efforts of looking young in the bud quickly! I will try, instead, to appeal to your vanity.

     I remember watching an episode of Third Rock from the Sun, where Dick (the alien) discovers smoking. The female says” Dick- that can take ten years off of your life!” Dick replies, “but they only take it off of the end of your life, those are the crappy years anyway.”  I know, I remember feeling that way in my twenties too. 

    We know sun exposure and smoking are the big anti-aging no, nos.  However when comparing anti-aging, and not counting cancer, smoking seems to age a woman faster. In WebMD states that for a “social smoker”*  middle age comes in their early thirties. We are "young" for about 20 years, and "old"   for about 60+years if lucky. We are older longer than we are younger; we need to take care of ourselves!

    The term “smoker’s face” is an actual medical term. The smoke literally suffocates the blood supply of oxygen causing wrinkles, sagging, dryness etc. You can see some effects of reversal if you quit- but sadly your skin will never be the same. 
* ( meaning that they only smoke when out with friends)
And if this didn’t convince you,  these stars were the hotties about 30-15 years ago. They smoked, tanned and drank:
Bridget Bordeaux- blonde bombshell, smoked and tanned ,
she was gorgeous....for about five years.

Kathleen Turner- She was famous for her Jessica Rabbit voice...
  which came from smoking...


Poor Melanie Griffith, She battled drugs and alcohol, and smoking.
And now an example of someone who did NOT smoke:

This woman took care of herself. She has not smoked, tanned,
but does exercise and has eats well.
We love Helen Mirren!

I will now get off my soapbox but before I do I will apply sunscreen and thankfully not (or will never) light up;p

No comments:

Post a Comment