Saturday, March 10, 2012

Go Retinol or Go Home; The Magic Molecule



As I sit here slathered in emu oil, with my smile lines still slightly tender from my tca peel, I’m thinking about what is really working in my morning and nightly mixture “medley” of products I’m trying. That’s right, I try new products, then stop, then start again to see if I can tell a difference. Why? Because I have no life, but we digress…
We already know what really works in wrinkle creams; Mayo Clinic says that the ingredients that do work are:
Hydroxy acids,  Coenzyme Q10, Copper peptides,  Kinetin, Tea extracts and… Retinol! 
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wrinkle-creams/SN00010
Retinol is another name for Vitamin A. We can get it from our leafy greens, our carrots and now in our face products. This is the “bottom-feeding-carp” of skin activity. It cleans your skin so your skin can do its job better ie: create more collagen, fight free radicals etc.
I’ve used retinol for acne- that is essentially what Epiduo is. My face is shiney, more firm and bright. But the down side is it does “sting” at first and you need to stay out of the sun as it can become unstable.
LOTS of skin care boasts retinol and all its forms: retinoids,tretinoin (prescription only), and the whole compound- retinol. But which skin products are effective AND cheap. I have tried:
o    All of the big box and over the counter lines
o    Olay, Neutrogena, Roc .- minimal notice of any effects, I did break out from the moisturization
o    Prescription, etc.: great results
o    Platinum Skincare- ok, not as potent as prescription and 3x for me
o    Afirm 3x- Awesome!! Comparable to prescription.


I am currently using Afirm 3x and it’s only 30.00-ish and it will last me a year I’m sure. You can’t use more than a pea size or your skin will scream! There are also other strengths available. Below are some guidelines, I know some of these will sound like bomb instructions but it’s worth it.
Guidelines when using something that is potent:
            DON’T use if you are pregnant or nursing
            DON”T buy the product in a jar, sunlight breaks it down. Pump or small cap with opaque cover.
DO put it on at night so the sun does not have the opportunity to break it down.
DO wear sunscreen as you are now more vulnerable to sunburn which is counterproductive. Spray-tan if you must girls! Elise- are you listening?
Remember we are old longer than we are young! Happy Face Saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment