Sunday, April 15, 2012

Golden Band-Aids: When Temporary is Just Fine!


I know that in the past, I’ve shied away from temporary fixes, like putting collagen on your face topically for a temporary plumper. Some of you have asked me is there is any “quick fixes” that are worth the time. There is! Most people already are familiar with an arrangement of this golden band-aide molecule for their joints- called glucosamine.  While collagen is better taken internally, hyaluronic acid can be applied topically for cosmetic uses.

The “acid” part of the name is a misnomer- there is no burning or harshness sensation when applied. Derived from radishes (vegan product!), this natural plumper is found in the body around our collagen and is used in several injectable products (Juvederm, Radiesse). For cosmetic purposes you can also find, hyaluronic acid made out of powdered rooster’s comb (yuck!)
Hyaluronic acid acts like a giant sponge that 
collects all of the surrounding water and keeps around its molecules for about 8 hours depending on the potency. Hyaluronic acids can absorb between 500 to 1000 times its weight- that’s a lot of plump!

 You can purchase just hyaluronic acid serum, or in most cases, look for it in the ingredients of our favorite moisturizing night cream. If you do use it long enough- it can “maintain” the plumped look over time.

If you look in the ingredients, Hyaluronic acid can be listed as Hyaluronan or Sodium Hyluronate. Over the counter creams including our magical plumper would be Neutrogena ‘s Ageless intensives (19.99-50.00). The price is right and I’ve heard good things. Also Olay includes HA in their array of products.
Currently I am using Life ExtensionDNA Repair cream for 19.60. This cream has lots of other yummy actives which I’ll discuss later, but it also has our famous HA, which I sometimes place on my smile lines and let it just soak in. This cream is a little heavy for me so I need to be careful or I would be breaking out. 
The results, however, are miraculous.
Happy Face Saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment